Figuring Out Buyer Behavior (2)
Alternative Evaluations
For these interviews, I went to a Volvo dealership, they have done a complete upgrade over the recent years. So I interviewed some individuals that were searching for a new car.
Customer 1 (Older Man)
I found him browsing at the new Volvo sedans, and I went to ask what he was looking for in his sedan, and what matters most. " I look for comfort because of my hip surgery, and my kids live in Tampa, so I prefer something that rides smooth." I asked if he had looked at the Acura brand. "I looked online and found that they are similar in price however I have not done a test drive. I really don't have a problem with money it just depends on comfort, for me. However I don't like BMWs and Mercedes because once the warranty runs out, servicing the vehicle is extremely expensive." He knows that comfort is his main priority, he is willing to put cash down, as well as trade in, so he won't have to have monthly payments. I asked what he thought of his last purchase, which was a 2011 Buick, he said he enjoyed it, however the car began to feel less comfortable because the seat were wearing, due to being cloth, instead of leather.
Customer 2 (Young Girl)
She had just arrived back to the dealership from a test drive, she had been driving a 2018 Volvo sedan, and I asked her what she was looking for specifically. She really is looking for a spacious interior with enough horsepower to get her out of the way if she needed to. "I want at least a V6, I currently have 4-cylinder without a turbo, and it can't pick itself up incase I pull out in front of someone on accident. I would love more room, but I really want an engine upgrade." I then asked if she looked into the Acura TLX. "I just came from that dealer, and really enjoyed the new look, however I might wait for the 2021, with the turbo V6 upgrade, and in complete interior and exterior upgrade. If it handles and drives better than the TLX I just drove I will definitely be purchasing that." She did like how both sedans, Volvo and the Acura drove, she is currently thinking about waiting for next years new comers. She will be financing the car, and putting some money down. She regrets purchasing her current car, because of the engine, it doesn't produce enough to her liking.
Customer 3 (New Family)
As I finished with the girl, I saw a new family pull in the dealership in an old sedan. I asked if I could interview them, they agreed. They have a 2 month old little boy and a dog (which was at home), I asked what they were looking for. "We are in need of a SUV, we aren't looking for an extremely large SUV just one spacious enough for a car seat and a dog. We don't plan on adding more to the family anytime soon. We currently have an 1999 Acura TL, it isn't enough for us." I asked them if they have gone to the Acura dealership. "We just came from there, we aren't just in need of space but safety, something durable in case of any accidents. We really enjoyed the MDX, however we know that the Subaru and Volvo brand are known for their safety features." I agreed with them that they do hold up well. I asked about their current car. The husband said, "When I bought her, she was cool and one of the larger sedans, she has held up well over the years, and she was easy and cheap to fix, she just isn't right for us," pointing to his family. I understood, he didn't detest his last purchase they are just ready for a better, safer, larger car. Whatever they agree on, they will be completely financing the vehicle and will be leaving happy with the space and safety.
Conclusion
I learned more about people than the actual buying process, I mean they did go hand in hand, but seeing everyone and meeting them helped me understand the market better. Not everyone is in it or looks or speed, like myself and that younger girl, but comfort for long drives or safety features for their new joy. It was interesting to meet kind people that enjoy vehicles, that weren't just looking for a car to have a car but something they genuinely enjoyed. What they have purchased wasn't for them, or it just wasn't right anymore. And I believe the same thing will happen again over time as their needs change, for instance the family may want to downsize again, or the young girl may want to go to a SUV because she has a family. And since these vehicles stay with them for a while, they did not want to regret their decision, that's why many went to different dealers or looked online for reviews. It's not like buying a shirt that you will never wear, they know that this is a big purchase, and they all went through this process before.
I like how you listed each interview so we could read what each person reflected on, rather than put them all into one paragraph like others. In your interviews it felt like we were really there, so thank you for that. I love how you were able to take away from your interviews- learning more about the people buying. I like how you reflected on when the buyer’s needs change.
ReplyDeleteGreat job with this assignment, Rachel!! I appreciate how in depth and detailed your interviews are. It’s also really great that you took the opportunity to go to an actual Volvo dealership to find qualified interviewees. I think by interviewing Volvo customers, you gave us readers better insight into your product and its purpose. It is important to note that you learned more about the people than the buying process because that’s what these interviews are about. They are about learning and understanding your intended customer.
ReplyDeleteHey Rachel,
ReplyDeleteI like how you had a range of costumers for your interviews, as it showed the different thought process that each one went through and what they were looking for when buying a car. It was insightful to see how each customer was looking to see how the car would benefit them and meet there own needs, and had different features in mind. The decision that the costumer makes is an important one, and having costumer satisfaction is so important in the buying process. Great Job!