Testing the Hypothesis (Part 1)

1. Women's pants pockets being larger

2. As a women that. has gone clothing shopping with other women countless times, we always seem to run into the small front pocket problem. Or better yet, the fake pocket. I believe this exists because some women carry purses or large wallets ceasing the need for real or big front pockets.

The Who: Women looking for pockets when shopping
The What: Need for larger pockets
The Why: For any that buy women's pants can carry items in all four pockets if need be.

3.
Testing The Who: First I would test a middle aged women, to see how often she has had this problem during her shopping days. I say middle aged first because she will definitely have more shopping experience and clothing trends changes than my generation has.

Testing The What: The boundaries would have to be, the type of pants and the brand.  I will be looking for those who wear jean shorts in juniors to regular women's. With this I will ask how much of their hand they can fit in the front, or their phone.

Testing the Why: This is tied to the fact that many, like myself carry a phone, wallet, keys and any they may have to take inside or to the car everyday. And unfortunately I have to try to hold it all and lock my door or cram it all in my (kind of large) back two pockets. And if many are like me, I have a iPhone 11 Pro Max, so this automatically takes up one of the two pockets. So having the two pockets upfront would be helpful on the day to day activities that many women go through.

4.
My first interview: As stated above was a middle aged lady, she agreed that we should have larger pockets however she did not mind as much as I thought because she carries a large purse instead of individual items like myself. She did state that the purse does get quite uncomfortable but she states that everything she needs during the day is in the purse.

My next three interviews were those in my age group, two agreed that we should have larger front pockets as well get rid of the fake pockets. They told me how they just like to carry their keys, phone and wallets but putting the keys in pockets with their phone or wallet damages both. They said the keys scratch their phone screen if it isn't sitting just right in the pocket. Also, the keys ruin the leather on their wallets. They have no win, so having larger front pockets can help save them money as well as irritation. However the third girl did not agree. She carries her items in a small backpack, and said that having larger front pockets would look terrible. She believes that having bigger pockets can lead to bunching of fabric because girls wouldn't use all the space and create an ugly bunch. I understand where she is coming from however I don't think the bunching would be as big as a problem as she believes.

My last interviewee was an older lady who wears shorts frequently because she gardens. She was in extreme agreement with me because she wants to be able to put her gloves in her pockets when she needs to move locations but they never fit. She was adamant about the gloves. She also wants bigger pockets so she can put smaller gardening tools in them when she is finished for the day.

5. Not many altercations have been made about my hypothesis, except taking into consideration how the shorts may feel with bigger pockets. I now know many new uses for front pockets than my original phone, wallet, keys.

Comments

  1. Hey Rachel!

    This is an opportunity that I have noticed but never really questioned why it has never changed. When men wear jeans, they have the ability to throw whatever they need in their pockets, because they are large enough. When women wear jeans, they are almost forced to bring a handbag with them! I think nearly all women will agree with your hypothesis that their pockets should be made larger. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Identifying Local Opportunities

Figuring Out Buyer Behavior

Celebrating Failure